Saturday, April 15, 2006

Who Am I?

This question was posed on the Oprah show & website on a series that she did about women "letting themselves go." It was meant in two ways - one, that they had gotten unkempt and overweight, but the second was more intriguing - it was what the first instance stemmed from... these women had let go of control of themselves to tend to all the other things (and people) in their lives.

Anyway, I checked out the steps that they took to get it all back together again, and much of it sounds very FlyLadyish! (THIS I can do!) It also reminds me of the old saying "Let go, and let God." I just have to let go of the OTHER stuff, not me!

SOOOO last night I resolved to move my blog feed to my yahoo page where I would remember to journal AND I also LET GO of helping MyPoolBoy with his statistics class - he keeps wanting me to bail him out or whatever, but I just never took stats so I was going through an online video series (13 hours long!) to learn stats so I could help him. NOW I see how ridiculous it was and this morning I am a little lighter in my step. If he fails or gets a W or I it is HIS fault. If he wants it badly enough he will turn off CSI long enough to watch those videos himself.

It also helps that I got a few days off for Easter and the district track meet to give me time to take this at a reasonable pace. On MyPoolBoy's birthday (last month) his father died and we spent spring break at the funeral, etc. 2 weeks later my grandmother that I lived with through high school passed away also. I had 2 days off of school for THAT funeral. And MyPoolBoy's great-aunt died the same day Grandma did, but we couldn't make THAT funeral.

TrainWreck made the Texas Relays in triple jump (no qualifying marks) and so we spent a day in Austin watching him do that. He also just won district in long jump and qualified for regionals in the 400m (that he had never run before!) and medaled in triple jump, mile relay, and high jump. The team missed placing for regionals by less than 10 points. It was heartbreaking because TrainWreck really wanted to triple jump at regionals, but at least he is the alternate, and who knows? maybe something will happen in the next 2 weeks!

More news - Thunderduck got a job at Sears in the automotive dept and is enjoying it, I think. He called the other day and said that the soccer coach wants TrainWreck to tryout with the soccer team on Monday (after Easter). The track coach also emailed and scheduled a meeting with him on Monday morning. SO I DO have some things to take care of for this situation! Transcripts, test scores, a profile sheet for track, and TrainWreck can't find his SS card. At least my dad offered to meet us halfway to pick him up and take him to save us some gas money.

Ok, so back to the question: "Who am I?"
I guess I can start with the basics (but they sound very much like the martyr-roles that I am supposed to be letting go of) I am a wife, mother, teacher, team-mom, scrapbooker, web designer, cat-lover, and family member. Those are the nouns. Maybe next time I can work on the adjectives and dig a little deeper.

No comments: